Mulching in Tehachapi
Mulch is perhaps the unsung hero of homeowners and gardeners everywhere. For most people, fresh mulch just means a well-maintained patch of land, but it actually serve to preserve the surrounding environment. At Hugo's Landscape & Maintenance Service, we provide quality mulch services to commercial and residential areas to help our clients preserve their outdoor spaces.
What Is Mulch?
Mulch can be made from a wide variety of materials. In organic mulch might contain elements like plastic, but natural mulches are more likely to contain:
- Back chips
- Grass clippings
- Wood chips
- Peat moss
Some of these inorganic materials replenish the soil as they decompose. This temporary option must be regularly maintained and replenished to maintain the positive affects of the mulch.
What Are the Benefits of Using Mulch?
Mulch’s main purpose is to preserve the moisture and improve soil. How does a mix of bark and wood chips accomplish this task? Properly laid mulch does the following:
- Reduces moisture loss related to evaporation
- Controls weed growth in the covered area
- Insulates soil from extreme hot and cold temperatures
- Over time improves aeration, drainage, soil biology and structure
- Inhibits certain plant diseases
- Improves soil fertility
- Reduces likelihood of damage from gardening tools like weed whackers or lawnmowers
In their natural environment, trees and other plants have a natural layer of material to cover the soil around their roots. The material is full of decomposing organic substances and organisms that replenish the soil. Mulch provides the same service in urban and suburban landscapes.
Are There Different Kinds of Mulch?
There are two main types of mulch: organic and inorganic. You already know that organic mulches contain natural components and decompose naturally. What do inorganic mulches contain?
- Lava rock
- Textile Fabrics
While this mulch doesn’t decompose naturally, it will last much longer than organic mulch. If you want something low maintenance yet still natural looking, consider using a stone based mulch.
Why Should Mulching Be Done Professionally?
As with anything, laying mulch must be done properly to enjoy the positive benefits of the task. For example, if you put too much mulch on your trees and plans, you’ll actually do more harm than good. The materials won’t decompose fast enough and the soil can’t breathe properly. These are the common problems with poor mulching:
- Excess moisture gets trapped in the root zone causing stress and/or root rot
- Stress on stem tissues causing insect infestations or plant diseases
- pH balance is thrown off causing nutrient deficiencies or buildup of toxic materials
- Water and air cannot penetrate the soil
- Rodents and small animals ay make homes in the mulch and begin biting the plants
- Mulch becomes anaerobic and poisons young plants
Give Hugo's Landscape & Maintenance Service a Call Today
When you give us a call, our professional team will be happy to answer any questions you may have about our mulching services. If you prefer, fill out our quick contact form and we’ll be happy to get back to you at your earliest conveyance. If you’re ready to get started, we’ll set you up with an appointment.